Monday, February 26, 2007

Mondays are for Blogging

I really need to set aside some time just for blogging. Otherwise, as my dear readers can see, I just keep putting it off and putting it off and before I know it, a week has gone by when I promised I'd blog the next day. There hasn't been too much going on here, but I did want to wax a little about Ezra's sweater and knitting with yarn you don't like.

I had made a fair amount of progress on Ezra's sweater, when I realized I just didn't like the yarn. No, "didn't like" does not do justice to the feelings I was having for this yarn. I hated it. No, I loathed it. It was loathsome. Yes, that's it. The yarn in which I was knitting Ezra's sweater was loathsome. It was scratchy. It was shiny. It was acrylic.

Up until this point, I had absolutely no problem knitting with acrylic. Acrylics have come a long way in the past few years. Yarn manufacturers have developed many fine, fun, and even soft yarns. However, my last few projects have mostly been from premium natural fibers--merino wool, cashmerino, Peruvian wool, etc. It sure did not take much to spoil me. Yes, when I first started knitting, I really didn't see the difference between yarns (excepting of course the cost). But now... Well, why keep toiling at a project if the yarn you are using is an abomination? This is another thing I learned from the Doctor Who scarf. Yes, that was a tiresome project, but at least I liked the yarn. Buy the best yarn you can afford, dear reader. It makes all the difference in the world.

I'll be casting on Ezra's sweater in the Artyarns today. I can't wait.