Sunday, February 18, 2007

Waiting

This morning I am waiting for Ezra to poop. Yes, you read that right. Late yesterday afternoon, Ezra swallowed something. I thought it might have been a toy, but wasn't sure. So, I packed him (and some knitting) up and headed over to the ER.

They were busy. Our recent snow and ice storm had people out on the sledding slopes, so there were many kids (and adults!) with banged up faces and broken wrists. We waited. Ezra slept. I knitted. We were there about two and a half hours before they came to take us for an x-ray. The x-ray tech was cryptic. When I asked if they saw anything, he said the doctor would discuss it with me. I prepared for the worst.

Then more waiting. I tried knitting, but Ezra was awake by then, so I chased him around the gurney instead. We played peek-a-boo with the curtain that was supposed to provide us with some privacy. I made him an exam-glove balloon. We waited some more.

The doctor came in and I steeled myself. "It's a screw," she announced.



Luckily, it had already passed into his small bowel. So now, we wait.

UPDATE--We didn't have to wait long. He passed the screw while I was blogging. Hooray!