Monday, February 05, 2007

30 second movies

I admit that I often enjoy commercials. The really good ones are like tiny little movies--a complete story arc in under a minute. Yesterday was the advertising industry's big chance to knock the socks off a huge demographic--the Superbowl. Companies pay a lot of money to advertise during the Superbowl--we're talking as much as $43,000 for each second of air time--and so they do their very best to make their ads entertaining and memorable. Lucky for us, and thanks to the power of You Tube, we no longer have to suffer the Big Game to see them.

Many of the ads this year are quite violent and while I don't generally condone violence, it can be entertaining. Case in point: Terminator 2. Violent as heck, but very entertaining. Most of the superbowl ads were OK. Here are my favorites (from You Tube):

Everyone knows someone like this.

This one has a great punchline.

This one was pretty good.

But I think this one was the funniest.

But the best commercial I've seen in a long time is this one which they say has been banned from TV and therefore did not air during the Superbowl. Too bad.

As a side note, I learned today that 1 cup of flour weighs in at around 4 ounces (depending on how you measure it), not at the 7 ounces I guessed. For future reference, if you have a cookie making method that makes really great cookies, don't screw it up by guessing the weight of a cup of flour. Seriously. There's nothing more annoying than having to answer the question "Well, did you follow the recipe?" with, "Kind of."

I am going to try to finish the Doctor Who scarf tonight. Pray for me.