Thursday, May 31, 2007

There are No Coffee Filters

About a year and a half ago, I bought one of those giant-sized bags of coffee filters at Costco. I think there were something like 500 in the package. I remember feeling pleased that it would be a long time before I had to even consider buying coffee filters again. I also remember a vague idea that I might become so accustomed to having coffee filters in the house that I'd probably forget to buy them when we finally ran out.

A couple of days ago, I said to myself, "gee, we're running low on coffee filters. I guess I'll need to dig some more out of the back of the cabinet." Of course, I didn't do it right away and I got distracted and I forgot about it completely. This morning, the children woke early (and I stayed up late). I put the TV on for them and stumbled into the kitchen to make a pot of Motivation. Filters? None. That's fine, I'll just climb up on this chair and dig them out of the back of the top-shelf cabinet. Shove the cookbooks out of the way, move all the rolls of aluminum foil (why do I have so many rolls of aluminium foil?), shove the cookbooks back to the other side, and start to feel frantic. How can we not have filters? I bought that huge thing. Where could they be?

Then realization began to set in. I've been awake for an hour. I've tossed all the cabinets my kitchen. There are no coffee filters in the house. We finally ran out and I had become accustomed to having them in the house, neglecting to purchase any more.

I have not had my morning coffee. This day is not going well.